Acrylic and polycarbonate are two of the most commonly used transparent thermoplastic materials. Acrylic, also known as polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA), is a synthetic polymer chain of acrylic acids. Polycarbonate is a polymer that has organic functional groups connected by carbonate groups.
The advantages of polycarbonate and acrylic fabrications include:
- Shatterproof and impact resistance. Acrylic and polycarbonate materials are both shatterproof and exceptionally resistant to impact.
- Weather resistance. Both plastics are capable of enduring fluctuating temperatures, varying moisture levels, sunlight exposure, and other weather conditions.
- Lightweight. Both materials are lightweight, shatterproof, and transparent, making them excellent alternatives to glass.
- Color customization. Polycarbonate and acrylic can both be colored while still maintaining their transparency.
- Chemical resistance. Polycarbonate is resistant to a range of chemicals, including many acids.
- UV protection. Polycarbonate has an inherent UV filtering capability and is commonly used for eyewear manufacturing or outdoor applications.
- Electrical insulation. Polycarbonate is naturally a good electric insulator.
Plastic Design, Inc. is a plastic fabrication company specializing in custom acrylic and polycarbonate products for a range of applications, including laboratory furniture and equipment. We offer several customizable options to ensure that our products meet the criteria required by your particular working space or environment.
Acrylic and Polycarbonate Fabrication Process
We use sophisticated computer numerical control (CNC) machines and other specialized equipment to carefully configure plastics into the shape of the desired end product. The machining operations we use include:
- Turning. This process uses a lathe to rotate the plastic workpiece while an immobile cutting tool removes excess material, shaping it according to predetermined specifications.
- Milling. As opposed to turning, milling involves rotating the cutting tool rather than the workpiece. The workpiece is held in place while the cutting tool removes chips of plastic.
- Drilling. The drilling process creates a circular hole in the workpiece using specialized tools to prevent overheating or structural damage.
- Boring. This procedure uses a single-point cutting tool to expand a preexisting drilled hole.
Our custom plastic products are manufactured from:
- Acrylic and polycarbonate sheets
- Acrylic and polycarbonate rods (cast or extruded)
- Acrylic and polycarbonate tubes
- Acrylic miscellaneous shapes
Acrylic and Polycarbonate Laboratory Products
Acrylic and polycarbonate thermoplastics have several unique qualities that make them valuable for laboratory product manufacturing. In a laboratory setting, quality and precision are vital to ensure that products possess the appropriate protective or chemical resistant properties.
The thermoplastic machining process enables the high level of flexibility and precision necessary to produce quality equipment for a range of sensitive applications. Our customization options include the use of UV-blocking or fire-retardant materials.
Our laboratory products may include:
- Radiation shielding. We can manufacture protective Plexiglas shields for blocking radiation.
- Custom glove boxes. Our Plexiglas glove boxes can be customized to meet any specifications.
- Furniture. We offer functional and high-quality laboratory furniture that can be tailored to suit your specific application needs.
- Casework. Our casework products are primarily made of white polypropylene or flame-retardant PVC-C and are resistant to corrosion, suitable for sterile/surgical settings, and ideal for spill containment.
Plastic Design, Inc. Custom Fabrication Capabilities
Plastic Design, Inc. has the required manufacturing flexibility, material selection, and state-of-the-art fabrication equipment to satisfy the needs of clients from a variety of industries, including:
- Biomedical. We fabricate a wide selection of plastic products for biomedical research applications, including chemically resistant tanks, custom casework, gowning furniture and equipment, laminar flow hoods, glove boxes, and chemical handling equipment.
- Pharmaceutical. Our chemically resistant tank systems, casework, and animal housing structures can be tailored to suit a range of pharmaceutical research applications.
- Microelectronics/semiconductor. We offer several custom polycarbonate products suitable for semiconductor and electronic applications, such as fume hoods and chemical tanks.
- Photonics. We are capable of fabricating custom-designed plastic products that can be used in photonics research.
- Marine recreation. Some of our popular customizable plastic products for marine recreation include game fish holding tanks, bait wells, hatch covers, windshields, and plastic fuel tanks.
Our highly skilled fabricators work closely with clients on all aspects of design, engineering, and manufacturing of custom plastic products. Our capabilities include computer-aided design (CAD) support and on-site welding assistance. Whether you are looking for one-time prototype fabrication or a full production run, our manufacturing process can be scaled to meet your needs. We are equipped to fabricate plastic components in widths up to 5 feet and lengths up to 12 feet. Our dedication to quality is verified by certifications such as I.P.C.A 620, ISO 9001:2015, and Confined Space Entry.